




The church to the left is part of the Diocesan Office complex, where I´m staying. It´s in the Canal Zone, which is remarkably Americanized still. It was established by the American Government when the Canal was being built. The sign that says 4 DE JULIO refers to the street in front of it, which is also referred to as the Ave of the Martyrs. More about that in another post. The phone booth -- that´s just for Paigie. I wanted picture of the city streets and a square, which is what the picture in the top right is about, but notice, too, the women in the Indigenous clothes. I see them frequently and haven´t yet spoken to them, so I can´t tell you much more. The plaza picture has a sign you probably can´t read. It says, ¨NI MILLONES NI LIMOSNAS OVEREMOS JUSTICIA.¨ What it means? I´m not sure, and I´ll be grateful to anyone who can tell me.
Vicar Leigh Waggoner did her homework and learned that the sign reads something like "Not by your millions (of dollars)- Not by your alms - We will see justice." The "overemos" is in reality "O, veremos". It works for both of us, so we´re going with it!
ReplyDelete