Thursday, September 16, 2010

Un Dia Fantástico!

I spent the day sightseeing with a wonderful guide, Carlos. He was supposed to practice his English, but instead, he put me through my paces in Spanish. I´m expressing myself better but still not comprehending much of what comes when I don´t know the context. I have five more weeks. Here´s hoping!

Carlos and I visited Santa Ana. My travel book recommended it and so did Peg Woodburn, who lived here for a time. The place did not disappoint. We visited El Teatro (The Theater). It was absolutely beautiful! It was Carlos´ first visit to it, too, and we were able to tour it without a guide and take pictures. We saw a few churches, too. Roman Catholic, mostly, with statues and such that emphasize the violence with which Jesus died. Carlos and I agreed that the images don´t offer a lot of hope, and we´re both grateful to be Episcopalian.

We did some walking, which I always enjoy. It really is the best way to see a city. We rode a lot of busses, too, only this time the destinations were well worth the bus rides (unlike the place that shall not be named). El Lago de Coatepeque (Ko-ah-tay-pay-kay) and El Volcan Ilamatepec (Ee-la-ma-tay-payk) (a lake and a volcano) were beyond description, and my photos will not do them justice. It was the most beautiful place in all of El Salvador. That´s not just my opinion. I asked Carlos, a native, if there were more beautiful places in El Salvador, and he said there were not. I´ve decided to retire there. We sat for a time; Carlos had a soda, and I had a beer. It was raining and breezy ("fresca" is the word here) and very relaxing.

We left there (me reluctantly!) to go to Las Ruinas de San Andres (Mayan ruins). It, too, was beautiful. Tranquil. It was another place that Carlos had not visited, and I was pleased to share that with him.

Much occurred to me throughout the day. I saw a Church that was called "Iglesia Cristo es la Respuesta" (Christ is the Answer Church) and thought, "Okay. Christ is the answer. What´s the question?" I thought a lot about tables (not sure why), the various ones at which I have found myself on this journey, how unifying and equalizing they are, what the Lord´s Table really means for us, and what a privilege it is to prepare it for the Eucharist. I thought about the theology that says that the most important thing is to believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior and that failure to believe that results in eternal separation from God. I thought about the millions of people in the countries I´ve visited who do in fact believe that, and I´ve wondered what benefit it has had for them ... and what harm. I thought about my nephew, CJ, who is as old as Carlos, and the opportunities he has that Carlos simply does not. I thought about the money I spent on brunch for me and Carlos and the people begging in the streets just outside. I thought about the bags of water for sale for 15 cents that, when empty, will be thrown onto the ground and find their way to the water sources that makes bags of sanitized water necessary.

Much tends to occur to me these days, hence the blogging, huh?

Anyway, I returned to the house really quite relaxed and in time to watch Scrubs.

It was a really great day!

Gracias a Dios!

No comments:

Post a Comment