Sunday, September 12, 2010

Things that make me smile ...

The little girl who smiled at me as she drank the bag of water she was able to have because I gave her a penny.
New friends waiting patiently while I put together a sentence in Spanish.
Men in cowboy hats carrying machetes.
My hostess making a special meal for me because beans were otherwise on the menu.
Little boys and homemade kites.
Sleeping with the windows open when it´s raining outside.
The Merlot Hotel -- Peg, that´s for you!
A sign that said "Donde sus amigos." (For those of you who don´t know Spanish, that reads "Where your friends.")
That I get Spanish jokes ... every now and then.
Margaritas on the beach.
Yogurt containers being used as coffee cups at coffee hour.
Invitations.
My Jose Cuervo flipflops, which I received from a woman sweeping the floor and not wanting me to have to walk barefoot ... as she then had to.
Living the truth of "Mi casa es su casa."
Mid-day siestas.
Churches you can´t get to from here... and the people who attend (and attend to) them.
Pretty much any vista of the countryside.
De Colores!
Local beers.
Turtles eating tortillas.
Toddlers being the same in every country.
Rows of brightly colored gingerbread-type houses.
"Coffee black" meaning "coffee with sugar."
Bathrooms with toilet paper.
Books of Common Prayer.
Pepsi in glass bottles.
Grandsons with their arms around their grandmothers.
Parades of pararguas (umbrellas) of every imaginable color.
Couples riding bicyles built for one.
Cattle grazing on the side of the road.
And hammocks!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about what makes you smile. It sounds like you need that after your last stop.
    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the list of things that make me smile I have to add the idea that you took the time to learn how to post a comment, which not everyone has learned how to do! I love that! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me smile! That was a great read. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete