Sunday, August 8, 2010

Con gratitud de Panamá

I love words. They´ve served me well in my formation and vocation, and I´ve been blessed with an ability to play with them. Imagine my dismay, then, when they fail me just when I want them most.

That´s the case as I attempt to express my gratitude for the folks in the Episcopal Diocese of Panamá. I´ll never be able to name them all, and I´m not likely to get the spellings right. I won´t even attempt everyone´s title and position. So, if someone from Panamá is reading this and notices something wrong, please please please correct me. The other issue is that I´ll fall short in reporting all that everyone has done for me, and in that I simply ask that you know that my heart remembers.

So, with no kind of poetry ... My deepest, heart-filled gratitude goes to ...

Reverenda Carmen -- for taking me to see Colón and for talking to me all the while in Spanish.
Cynthia -- for offering to share her room with me and for introducing me to folks.
Sue -- for sharing her apartment ... free of charge.
Roberto -- for good-naturedly helping me expand my Spanish vocabulary.
Reverenda Maize -- for sharng her story and the history of the church and for giving me a way to think about the mission field that helps me to know I can walk with anyone in it.
Walter -- for sharing his deacon heart, his story, his love for the Church, his passion for all things cross-cultural , and his parish.
Reverenda Glenda -- for so very much! For arranging my introduction to churches and the priests and who serve them, for sharing her story and her work, for feeding me, for making travel arrangements, for making sure I have what I need, and for her laughter! Oh, and for sharing some fun words with me!
Fr. Iladio -- for introducing me to ¨chicheme" (think sweetcorn smoothie!) and to "el campo" and for his patience with my Spanish.
Kelly -- for his transporting me to the beautiful countryside, for walking with me, and for his patience with my Spanish.
Patricia -- for her stewardship of the hope of the young people of Panamá.

There have been others who have shared with me the work they do in the diocese, some in formation for Holy Orders and some already ordained who donate their time and talents to the church. I´m grateful for their commitment to the Church and to God´s children in Panamá. Everyone has been a part of my continuing formation, and as those of you who know me well, know there are few things I value more.

Peace be to the Episcopal Diocese of Panamá!

1 comment:

  1. Janet-Enjoying your posts. Stay safe, and a belated Happy Birthday. Paz-Mike E.

    ReplyDelete