
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Panama Canal
There is no way for the photos to do justice to the awesome event that is the Panama Canal. I was at Miraflores today as ships moved through it. ¡Muy impresionante! (Very impressive!) I´d been thinking that we have the Lock and Dam system on the Mississippi River. How much different could this be? I was prepared to be under-whelmed, thinking there was no way it could live up to its hype. I was mistaken! It was just brilliant. It may very well be the best example of America contributing to the Common Good! It was good that we helped build it, and it´s good that we gave control of it back to the Republic of Panama. That happened at noon on 12-31-99. There are plans to expand the canal, to add another lock on each side of it. Those are scheduled to be open for operation in 2014, which is 100 years after the inaugural crossing on 8-15-1914. 

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment